New Forest Show 2013
I had a great time at the New Forest Show yesterday – brilliant to catch up with the stallholders and the lovely backstage team. Here are the recipes!
Recipes for a 500 Calorie Day
Breakfast: Strawberry Breakfast Pots (173 calories)
Lunch: Butterbean, Tomato & Caper Salad (133 calories)
Dinner: Griddled Courgettes & Samphire with a Poached Egg (188 calories)
= 494 calories
Strawberry Breakfast Pots
173 calories per portion
100 g strawberries, hulled (33 cal)
1 tsp runny honey (21 cal)
85 g Total 0% fat Greek yoghurt (48 cal)
15 g Mornflake Oatbran granola ‘Nuts & Seeds’ (71 cal)
- Slice the strawberries and transfer to a bowl or tumbler.
- Stir the honey into the yoghurt and spoon it over the strawberries, then sprinkle over the granola.
Butterbean, tomato and caper salad
133 calories per serving
100 g tinned butterbeans, drained (85 cal)
180 g fresh ripe tomatoes, diced (29 cal)
15 g capers in brine, drained (5 cal)
3 g (a few sprigs) fresh basil leaves, torn (< 1 cal)
½ tsp Dijon mustard (3 cal)
½ tsp runny honey (11 cal)
1 tsp sherry vinegar (< 1 cal)
- Mix the beans with the tomatoes, capers and basil.
- Stir the mustard, honey and vinegar together with a pinch of salt, then drizzle the dressing over the salad and grind over a little black pepper.
Griddled courgettes and samphire with a poached egg
188 calories per serving
200 g (1 – 2 medium) courgettes (33 cal)
½ tsp rapeseed oil (20 cal)
50 g samphire (50 cal)
½ garlic clove, crushed (4 cal)
2 tsp lemon juice (3 cal)
1 medium egg (78 cal)
- Slice the courgettes lengthways into very thin strips with a mandolin or vegetable peeler.
- Put a griddle pan on to heat until smoking hot while you toss the courgette with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Griddle the courgette slices in batches for a minute or two on each side or until nicely marked.
- Meanwhile, fill a deep frying pan with water and put it on to heat.
- Transfer the courgette ribbons to a serving bowl then toss the samphire around in the hot griddle pan for a couple of minutes just to heat through.
- Add the samphire to the courgettes. Stir the garlic into the lemon juice and use it to dress the vegetables.
- When the water in the frying pan just starts to gently simmer, break in the egg and leave to cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and leave the egg to cook in the residual heat for 4 – 5 minutes or until the white has set, but the yolk is still a little runny in the centre.
- Drain the egg well with a slotted spoon and lay it on top of the vegetables.
Feast day dessert:
Cherry & Almond Trifle
(probably best not to think about the calories per serving!)
For the compote:
125 g English cherries, stems and stones removed
½ jar black cherry jam
2 tbsp sloe gin
For the marzipan cream:
75 g marzipan, cubed
300 ml double cream
8 mini Battenberg cakes
4 whole cherries with stems intact
- Prepare the marzipan cream and cherry compote in advance. Put the marzipan and cream in a small saucepan and stir over a low heat until the marzipan melts and blends smoothly with the cream. Leave to cool completely, then chill.
- Halve the cherries and put them in a saucepan with the jam. Simmer for 2 minutes then take off the heat and stir in the sloe gin. Leave to cool completely.
- When you’re ready to serve, cut the Battenburgs into thick slices and arrange around the sides and base of 4 tumblers.
- Spoon the cherry compote into the centre.
- Whip the cream until thick and dollopy, then spoon it on top of the compote and top each trifle with a whole cherry.